What is a 'Family Covenant'?
This comprises our statement of faith and the commitments we make to each other as church members. We recommit ourselves to our covenant at the beginning of every year. Our covenant is as follows:
Stocksfield Baptist Church Family Covenant
We are a fellowship of Christians committed to God and to one another, seeking to reach into the communities in which we live with the love of Jesus.
- That our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, is the sole and absolute authority in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as revealed in the Holy Scriptures, and that each Church has liberty, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, to interpret and administer His laws.
- That the usual form of Christian Baptism and the one generally practised in this fellowship is the immersion in water into the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, of those who have professed repentance towards God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ who “died for our sins according to the Scriptures; was buried; and rose again on the third day.”
- That it is the duty of every disciple to bear personal witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to take part in the evangelisation of the world.
We commit ourselves
- To share in worship together on the Lord’s Day.
- To pray fervently, persistently and faithfully, both individually and together.
- To study God’s word both privately and in small groups and to seek to live according to it.
- To grow Christlike through obedience to His Word and listening to His Spirit.
- To seek the life, fullness, work and gifts of the Holy Spirit.
- To care for one another in practical ways as needs arise.
- To be willing to both give and receive encouragement and counsel.
- To bear with each other's weaknesses and to affirm each other’s strengths.
- To deal with difficulties which may arise between us by speaking the truth in love and by forgiving one another.
- To generously support the church as God enables us; through finance, time and abilities.
- To share fellowship with Christians in other churches locally and nationally, both within and outside our Baptist family.
- To care for the world in both social concern and in sharing the gospel of Jesus.